Monday, October 13, 2008

Starstruck

Susan and I have been planning on taking our kids to the State Fair on this day for weeks but only Saturday did I discover that Barney was going to be there as well. I can not even begin to describe how much Clara loves Barney. I did my best to not encourage him too much for the obvious - he is a big, purple dinosaur. Need I go on? Over the course of a few months, I have encouraged Elmo, Zoboomafoo, Dive Olly Dive; anything BUT Barney. Well, I couldn't look past Clara's eyes lighting up every time she saw the big purple dude. The dear, little girl even says "Barney" each time the television turns on. So, Adam and I have swallowed our pride and accepted that this is a phase and it, too, shall pass. After all, he does grow on you.

We waited at the place where he was supposed to be for a good hour and used our time psyching her up for the infamous sighting. There were Barney posters, Barney balloons, Barney toys, Barney coloring books and of course, Barney was playing on TV. When he finally arrived, I swear her eyes got HUGE and they lit up like I have never seen them before. I even heard a tiny, little whisper "Bar-nee." I even got excited. When it was our turn, I asked Clara if she wanted to walk and she said "yes." So, I put her down and she walked right up to him with the biggest smile and just stared. She shook his hand, hugged him, kissed him. She sang all the way home a made up song that included the word Barney. She was starstruck.

Now, if only Johnny Depp would come to town...